28.4.13

Home

During my first days in Dublin I slept in a hostel and I shared the room with five other persons. One of them was a girl who couldn't tell where she comes from. 
It is interesting how one always asks a new acquaintance for the name and where s/he comes from. And what they do. 
Anyway, the girl couldn't tell where her home is because she has been moving around the world her whole life.

I every now and then do miss home. When I try to figure out what it is exactly that I am longing for I really can't put a finger on it. It may be family, friends, culture, food, routines: an environment where you can relax and be yourself.  A feeling of being home.
I have realised that I acctually don't know where my home is. If it would be a physical space it would most likely be in Pörtom where I grew up. If it would be where my friends are it would be scattered around Finland and Europe. And as I love sleeping I would maybe consider my home to be where the bed I long for and where I sleep best is. But none of those don't really feel like a category that would please me.

Therefore I think the best way not to feel homeless is to feel at home with yourself. As your home is in your body and mind you can carry it anywhere you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment